Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Self-care?

I've noticed the term 'self-care' tossed around a lot the past couple of years. I have to admit, I've struggled with the term itself; I think maybe it's a generational thing. I'm old enough to be a part of the generation that was mostly brought up to believe that to put yourself first is a bit selfish, and to consider others first and prioritize according to that.

I'm coming around to it though.

To be truly healthy means you're healthy in mind and spirit, as well as body. For whatever reason, the first two are easier for me to commit to. 

For my mind, I read - a lot - and I intentionally think on things that are positive. That certainly doesn't mean I don't have my moments, or DAYS, when I complain or act more like a Negative Nellie. But I do know, and understand, how it works: what you feed your mind will show up in your actions. 

For my spirit, this is probably the easiest for me. I draw my strength and inspiration from so many things connected to my spirit. Prayer first, of course, and also just staying in a constant state of awareness that His plans are so much grander and greater than my own. In my weakness, I am made strong. Many days, this is my lifeline, a comfort and a compass for me.

For my body - this has been a tougher nut to crack. It took me all of my 20s and a good part of my 30a to finally realize that my body is truly a temple, and that I should treat it as such. Overcoming body image issues, food issues, and - at last - accepting the body that I was gifted with, was not easily won. But once I grasped the fact that I only get one chance with this body, I was a much better steward of its care.

A few months ago, when I began experiencing tingling and numbness in my left hand, it was fairly easy for me to ignore. I blamed it on a prescription I had been given for a different ailment. 

When my lower back began to hurt Every. Day. I chalked it up to being on my feet all day, every day, and on concrete at that - in my new position as a Culinary instructor.

Then, when my neck and right shoulder began to ache and then become painful, I decided I was, indeed, pushing my body too hard. I would let up and give it some much needed rest after THIS. After THAT. 

self-care

Dictionary result for self-care

/ˌselfˈker/
noun
  1. the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one's own health.
    "autonomy in self-care and insulin administration"

Until this week, when I couldn't take the pain any longer.

Turns out, I should have paid attention long ago. My childhood experience with scoliosis, coupled with early onset arthritis, and degenerative disk disorder are all staring me in the face this week. I had passed all my symptoms off to "aging." 

But - sometimes, people - it's more than simple aging. Sometimes, you're sick. Or, sometimes, you have a disorder. Or, sometimes, you have an injury. 

And you need to pay attention.

My body has my attention now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment