Tuesday, January 22, 2019

REVIEW: Chase the Lion

"If your dream doesn't scare you, it's too small!" - Mark Batterson

When I signed on to accept the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge, I put out a FB request, wanting to know what books others would  recommend. I was astounded at the number of really great suggestions that came flooding in, and I've already lapped up several of the titles like a dry sponge craving water!

Chasing the Lion was recommended to me by my dear friend, Jennifer. I immediately ordered it from Amazon and pretty much inhaled it in great gulps right after it arrived.

It's an easy read, but SO chock full of tidbits of wisdom and goodness, that I find I go back and reread passages again and again.

The book opens with "The Lion Chaser's Manifesto," and I return to the lines in this passage again and again:
Quit living as if the purpose of life
is to arrive safely at death.
Run to the roar,
Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-given passions.
Go after a dream that is destined to fail
without divine intervention.
Stop pointing out problems. Become part of the solution.
Stop repeating the past. Start creating the future.
Face your fears. Fight for your dreams.
Grab opportunity by the mane and don't let go!
Live like today is the first day and last day of your life.
Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails.
Live for the applause of nail-scarred hands.
Don't let what's wrong with you
keep you from worshipping what's right with God. 
Dare to fail. Dare to be different.
Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.  (Batterson)

If you are harboring dreams that you feel are God-given, but that you've kept under protective care - for whatever - reason: fear of rejection, fear of failure, it seems much too pie-in-the-sky...whatever the reason, this book challenges you to - instead - listen to the dream God has placed inside of you and then step out in faith.

It has been so timely for me to read this, in these first few weeks of the new year, because these have been my very thoughts. How do I move beyond what I feel I'm called to do, and MAKE IT HAPPEN? 

Now I know the answer is this: stay focused, don't give up, walk through open doors, say "no" to the non-urgent and allllll the YES's to things attached to your God-size dream. Take it one day at a time. One step at a time. 

Trust.

Work hard.

Pray even harder.

Live your life honestly and authentically, taking care FIRST of the hearts who've been entrusted to your care. Love them, care for them, uplift them...be present for them. By saying "no" to the unnecessary, you have more time for chasing the lion - your God-given dream.

So here I am...putting on my best running shoes, piling my hair into a messy bun, putting on my game face...going after MY LION in 2019!!!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten to read this one yet, and I need to! A friend recommended it a couple years ago, then life...you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's yours, friend! You'll LOVE it! It will go in the mail as soon as it comes in..or it may be delivered to your classroom:)

    ReplyDelete